Show Side Menu
To view, print or save our practice booklet, click here
Access Online Services
Call 111 - When it is less urgent than 999

Carer and Social Services

Information for Carers

Caring for another person can sometimes prove to be difficult and may make you feel isolated and in need of help. You may wish to discuss in confidence your concerns and seek professional advice. If you a Carer and you wish to discuss your concerns please ring the following number (which ever applicable) Adult Carers should contact the Adult Social Care Service on 01702 – 215008 for a Carers Assessment.

Young Carers should contact Children's Services (including Education and Children's Social Services) on 01702-215007 for advice and support.

Useful Telephone Number for Carers

Southend Carers Forum Group 01702 393933

The Practice has a Carer’s Register for people who care for a relative/friend. Please inform the Practice if you are a Carer or being cared for so that this information can be recorded in your records. Please also inform the practice should your circumstances have changed. If you are giving regular and substantial help to a person that you care for, you may be entitled to a Social Services Carers assessment. The assessment gives you advice and information. You and the person that you care for may be entitled to practical help and support.

Social Services

Social Services is a department of Southend Borough Council which provides information about, and access to, a wide range of social care services for people in need. Such services include care at home services, day care, respite care and long-term residential and nursing home care.

Services are provided directly by the County Council or by arrangement with the private or voluntary sector. The staff you are likely to be in touch with will include social workers, occupational therapists, home care assistants and day service workers.

Access to services is subject to assessment by Social Services staff who will take into account your views as well as information from any health professionals or others involved in your care and will often include financial assessment as some services are charged for.

If you meet the criteria which establish your eligibility for a service, a care plan will be agreed with you.

What Sort Of Help Can Social Services Provide?

Social Services for Adults aim to:

  • Maintain an individual’s ability to live independently in the community
  • Provide relief for family carers
  • Enable provision of residential and nursing home care when independent living is not possible.

The Main Types of Services are:

  • Information and advice
  • Domiciliary services
  • Home care (for help with personal care such as washing anddressing). Help with housework and shopping is given where there are personal care needs, or to relieve a family carer
  • Community meals
  • Equipment or adaptations to property to enable independent living with advice from occupational therapists
  • Day services
  • Residential or nursing home care
  • Carers support

How Do You Get Help?

Social Services are available to offer help and assistance to carers and can be contacted on 01702 215008. If you are caring for an adult ask for Adult Services. If you are caring for a child with a disability, ask for Children and Families Services.

Find a support worker role near you today
Local Services, Let